Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mixtape #2: You Broke My Heart

You know what's coming . . . the tissue box. There are those days (in which I have experienced a few times in my life) where you have that knot in your chest, your brain's rushing with thousands of different thoughts, and you need some time alone. Well folks, here's my playlist for those times in your life. I hope it doesn't bring you down too much.

Track 1. "You Broke My Record (You Broke My Heart)" - Glib: I found this song (which [as of now] is the only song I know by them) through some sort of strange coincidence. It mysteriously landed on a Weezer mixtape my sister's boyfriend gave to me. This song is sad, but for some reason it also makes me smile. I'm just warning you though, I looked everywhere on YouTube, and I couldn't find it anywhere. You can find the song here.
Track 2. "Good Morning Heartache" - Billie Holiday: The title of the song says it all.
Track 3. "Title And Registration" - Death Cab For Cutie: Death Cab has this unique way of somehow putting all of my thoughts into words.
Track 4. "Lonesome Tears" - Beck: This album is in my top 5 albums of all time. Most people describe it as Beck's "breakup album". It's definitely soft, but by far his most emotional work. I love it.
Track 5. "Someone Great" - LCD Soundsystem: If you've ever lost someone, this song is yours.
Track 6. "Sometime Around Midnight" - Airborne Toxic Event: This song gave me chills the first time I heard it.
Track 7. "If It's The Beaches" - The Avett Brothers: The words and instrumental in this song are equally moving.
Track 8. "Someone Like You" - Adele: For me, this is THE sad song of the decade. It just breaks your heart. And who among us hasn't been in a situation at least almost exactly like hers? She puts heartbreak into words.

Well, I hope that I gave you some tunes to help nurture your blues.

Next week's mixtape? "Jazz, It's Not Just For Old Folks".

1 comment:

  1. now we're talking. I like the jazz.....you just posted all my faves.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete