Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mixtape #4: Nostalgia

Memories. Good or bad, we all have them. They always implant some sort of influence in our lives. This week is a little bit shorter for a few reasons: one being that I procrastinated, and two being that time ended up being a lot shorter than I thought. But then of course, your mind can only hold so many memories. This week I'm going to share some songs that have a lot of meaning in my life. Along with that, I'll share some personal stories of why these songs mean a lot to me.


Track 1. "Girl" - Beck: Now, I know what you're thinking. This is the third Beck song I've put on here, and you're probably a bit annoyed by now. But I think it just goes to show how much of an influence he's had on my life. This album Guero I got when I was about 12 years old. (SO LONG AGO.) I remember it being one of the first albums I bought for myself, and really liking it a lot. And of course I still listen to it all of the time these days.

Track 2. "Kaya" - Bob Marley: Ever since I can remember, my dad would always sing this to my older sister (who's name is Kiah). Bob Marley has always been a huge influence in my life.

Track 3. "The Fool On The Hill" - The Beatles: I cannot put into words how much of an influence The Beatles have had on my life. I listened to them for as long as I can remember being in existence. I know it's kind of cliche to "love" The Beatles, but I do think that there people that have a certain spot in their heart for The Beatles. They are timeless.

Track 4. "All By Myself" - Green Day: I remember the first time I heard this song I was nearly crying laughing. I think I might have been 9 years old, but I've never forgotten it.

Track 5. "Suddenly Seymour" - Little Shop Of Horrors: I know it's not exactly manly to listen to showtunes, but oh well, I embrace it! I can recall my dad singing this to my mom all of the time.

Track 6. "Goodnight My Angel" - Billy Joel: This may be my favorite childhood song. I remember my parents singing me to sleep with it, and now I will sing it to my kids. Which is exactly the meaning of the song. That's just beautiful.

Track 7. "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen: If you asked me to sing you this song right now, I would sing it for you word for word. (though it might be a little rusty around the edges.) It has also been used rather conveniently in various family gatherings. One time, my family and my uncle's family were out boating, when all of the sudden, it starts storming like crazy. the waves were huge, and we were all scared to death. But then we all started singing this song, and it definitely brought us comfort. Another time, we were at another uncle's house with all of my mom's side of the family. Then the power goes out. We couldn't see a thing, and everyone was freaking out. But then we sing this song, and right at the end of it, the lights come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment