Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mixtape #3: Jazz, It's Not Just For Old Folks

I love jazz music. It just makes me feel good. This week, I'm picking out some of my favorite jazz artists. Most are y'know . . . older. But that doesn't mean we can't still love 'em. With this mixtape I'm going for a bit of a different style. I'm selecting a few of my favorite artists, singers and composers, then choosing three songs for each artist.

Artist 1. Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit", "Lover Man", "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm": The song "Strange Fruit" is one of the most haunting songs I've ever heard. It was written as an anti-lynching poem in the late 1930's. I actually got chills the first time I read the lyrics. And then when you turn over to "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm", your mood totally changes. I love that.
Artist 2. Duke Ellington - "Sophisticated Lady", "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)", "In A Sentimental Mood": I love this guy's work. His fingers seem to move so effortlessly across the piano keys. He was always having the time of his life on stage with his music. You can tell he was home.
Artist 3. Frank Sinatra - "Girl From Ipanema", "New York, New York", "Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)": He's probably one of the most popular jazz singers ever. And also one of my favorites. He had a very classy style, something that is lacking in the world today.
Artist 4. Louis Armstrong - "When You're Smiling", "Kiss Of Fire", "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans": I can honestly say (straight up) that Satchmo is my favorite jazz artist of all time. And I do not say that lightly. His music has never failed to make me laugh, cry or just feel good. When I first came across his music, I was hooked. He opened my mind to a whole new world of artistry. His music oozes with contentment and pure joy.



Now people, don't forget that there are so many other great jazz artists out there. Buddy Rich, Dizzy Gillespie, Gene Krupa, Max Roach and so many others that I didn't mention. So don't limit your pallet to what you find here.

Also, next week's mixtape: "Nostalgia".

Peace,
Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment